Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Penguin and Polar Bear Extraordinaire!

Hey there! I almost forgot that I needed to blog about this week's events. It's such a beautiful weekend here in Alabama, especially for January, so John and I have been out running around. Despite our 100th day disater, we had a great week learning all about penguins and polar bears. We read so many great books that were informational and entertaining at the same time, and of course we had to have an activity to go along with all of these. We started the week off reading 2 fact books about penguins so we could make our "Penguins Can, Have, Are" chart. The kids learned a lot and did a great job spelling their words don't you think?? We also read Tacky the Penguin by Helen Lester on Monday, and the kids made a Tacky during their art center this week. So cute! Later in the week we made a torn paper penguin and they turned out PRESH! We also made a penguin fact book similar to Kinder by Kim's but, I truly think my favorite thing we made all week was our tissue paper polar bears. We read Little Polar Bear by Hans de Beer and once the kiddos saw me pull out my bear example, they got so excited, AND they did a great job! 

If you need some books for this unit, check these out. They're great!








All of this week's literacy centers came from my Polar Bear Mini Literacy Unit and the math centers came from Jamie Mayas' Penguin math unit. Both of these things can be found in mine and Jamie's tpt store. Take a look!
















1 comments:

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

Those are some cute penguins! I hope you emailed me about the Alabama meet up if you're interested, if you haven't...there's still plenty of time to get in on the fun! =)
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Post a Comment