Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

The Last of Snowmen and Snow

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day....and happy Monday off!! WOW! I have had a tremendously busy weekend! My husband and I left after school on Thursday to go to Jasper, Georgia for my best friends wedding. It such a beautiful ceremony and she was a stunning bride. We got back into town laster last night and I am so exhausted!



Anywhoo, let's get to it. Here are some pictures of this weeks theme activities and centers. I must say that I have found one activity that I will do every year during this time. We read the book Snowballs by Lois Elhert, and if you've never read it, you MUST! It's about a family that is saving their "stuff" in a paper sack and waiting on a snow day to build their snow family. They build a man, woman, boy, girl, baby, dog, and their cat, but they use all of the stuff they've collected in their bag to decorate their snow family. Well I decided that I would rummage through my room and grab up all of that stuff that every teacher saves but has no idea what to do with it, and we made our own snow men. THEY ARE SO STINKING CUTE! and the kiddos had absolute control over the design. They are presh! We also made snowmen with a snowflake pattern on their scarf, and some cute little snow globes after we read The Snow Globe Family. We also incorporated our 5 senses into the snow globe activity by writing what our family would see, feel, taste, smell, and hear. 




This was our table full of stuff that they had to choose from


We started off with 2 snowballs and covered them with torn paper. It's hard to explain the illustrations in the book, but this is what they looked like.



Here is our little snow family!




3 comments:

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

Your snowmen and snow globes are too cute! =)
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Erin said...

I love the idea of letting the students just pick anything they want to make their snowman like that! Love it!

Creating & Teaching

Anna said...

Thank you Jennifer and Erin! They kiddos truly LOVED these activities. They still stop and look at them when were in the hallway. They can't wait to take them home.

Post a Comment