Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Storytelling Festival and Christmas Fun

Whew! What a busy week, but I can't tell you how much fun my sweet babies had. The pictures below came from all of our special activities during last week of school before our 2 week Christmas break. I'm having to start with Friday and work my way back because my pictures loaded in reverse order for some reason. Drives me crazy! Anyway, Friday we had a storytelling festival throughout our entire school. We traveled to different stations throughout the day for alllll kinds of different activities. The kids got to make a paper plate ornament wreath, they watched Frosty the Snowman, listened to our librarian read "Gingerbread Friends" by Jan Brett, and they played "sneaky Santa" relay races with Coach in P.E. After all of that fun, our principal, Mrs. Penney read "The Night Before Christmas"and had Santa came early to visit all 400+ kinder kids at our school. He gave all of them a stuffed animal! You wouldn't believe the exciting looks on all of their faces. 





On the Thursday before our break my class joined with Miss Chamblee's Kinder Friends in our pj's to watch the Polar Express. We gave them tickets that they had to keep up with, just like the movie AND we gave them some hot chocolate with a special treat. They only managed to spill 4 cups out of 34 so I think they did pretty good haha. At the end of the movie they got their very own jingle bell straight from the North Pole...well it was actually the freezer, but they don't have to know that :) They were all so excited that they believed in Santa so they could hear their bell. By the end of the day I was ready for them to stop believing, but they had soooo much fun that Thursday, and I wouldn't have it any other way.




This was truly my favorite part of the week. On Wednesday afternoon right before school let out, our reading coach pulled my intervention students like she normally does. She took them to her room and read a story. The next thing I know, one of them comes running in my room saying "Mrs. Holcomb! COME HERE!!!" So I grabbed my camera and ran! I knew it had to be something fun! Well I get into the library and she has them all sitting by the tree with a gift from Santa. We live in a very high poverty area, and you never truly know what your sweet little babies are going home to each night, and I worry about them all the time, but thanks to Santa I KNOW that they will all have a warm sweatshirt and a new toy to play with. I almost cried when they opened their packages and I saw their faces. I was and will probably always be my favorite first year teacher experience. So sweet!





1 comments:

Busy Bees said...

Looks like fun! We have 3 days next week so we basically are doing a ditto of your finishing up this week. Enjoy your break!
Robynn
BusyBees

Post a Comment